Student News at Merion Mercy Academy
Back to Article
Back to Article

Summer Movie Preview

Summer Movie Preview

June 5, 2014

This summer is going to offer a ton of movies to watch and enjoy! When the exams are done and the final bell rings on June 5th, be sure to check out these to have a great summer!

The summer movie season has already started, and many much anticipated blockbusters are being released soon. It’s not summer without a super-hero movie. Following hits like Captain America: The Winter Soldier and The Amazing Spider-Man 2, movies like X-Men: Days of Future Past (May 23) and Guardians of the Galaxy (August 1) are being released. Days of Future Past, starring stars like Jennifer Lawrence, Hugh Jackman, and Halle Berry, is the latest sequel in the X-Men series and chronicles the adventures of the X-Men as they fight evil and corruption while traveling through time. Guardians of the Galaxy, based on the cult classic comic book series by Marvel, is a super-hero film set in space. It stars Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, and Bradley Cooper.

Other highly anticipated films are based on popular teen books, like The Fault in Our Stars (June 6), The Giver (August 15), and If I Stay (August 22). The Fault in Our Stars, with Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort, is an adaptation of John Green’s hit novel about cancer-stricken teens struggling to deal with daily life. The Giver is a dystopian fantasy with big-name stars like Jeff Bridges and Meryl Streep. If I Stay, starring Chloe Grace Moretz, is about a teen prodigy who is left in a coma after the car accident that killed her family. Her consciousness must decide whether or not she should fight to stay alive or just let go.

This summer also marks the return of many famous characters. Maleficent, due May 30, stars Angelina Jolie as the titular villain. This film shows the story of Maleficent, the evil fairy from the 1959 Disney film, Sleeping Beauty. Transformers: Age of Extinction (June 27) sees Michael Bay’s robots-in-disguise return to the big-screen, this time without series star Shia La Boeuf. Mark Walhberg stars as a mechanic who meets the alien machines. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, out August 8, shows the famous turtles battling new and old enemies with the help of news reporter, April (played by Megan Fox).

Overall, this summer offers a series of films packed with action, filled with emotion, and made of fun. See you at the movies!