Student News at Merion Mercy Academy

Ricordia

• Keep checking back for new articles at the end of each month!

• Follow us on Twitter @MMARicordia

• Welcome to Ricordia! Your Student Newspaper!

Filed under Mercy Girls

Open House

When I signed up for the annual MMA Open House, I assumed I would be giving a tour to potential new students of MMA, but I was assigned the job of greeting visitors outside and handing them information about our school, a job that I underestimated! While it was colder than expected, I warmed up quickly from chatting and helping families by answering their questions. We had 150 pre-registered families, and many more families came and signed in that day.

I was personally impressed at not only how many eighth-graders were interested, but how many sixth and seventh graders also expressed their interest! For an hour, another sophomore, Caroline Hecht, and I handed out various pamphlets and conversed with the visitors outside. After sending them all on their way to a tour, we came inside to see what else we could do to help.

At this point, the tours were winding down, and it was time for a presentation for both the parents and the students. All the visitors were able to learn more about the clubs and activities Merion offers by talking with the leaders and coaches representing them. When it was time for Sister Barbara to speak, the visiting students went into the cafeteria to talk with representatives from Student Council and the Ministry Team. The girls talked about student life and asked many questions. When it was time for a group picture, the girls seemed happy to be included in this Merion activity. It’s a special time for girls when they’re making one of their first big life decisions, and all the students who volunteered to show the potential new students around portrayed the average Merion student perfectly: a girl of mercy who leads and take initiative in everything she does.