Student News at Merion Mercy Academy

Ricordia

• Keep checking back for new articles at the end of each month!

• Follow us on Twitter @MMARicordia

• Welcome to Ricordia! Your Student Newspaper!

President Trump and the Affordable Care Act

Gen Wittrock, Co-Editor

Within a few weeks of his presidency, President Donald J. Trump has laid out the plan for his first 100 days in office. Vice President Pence told the press about their plans to negotiate trade deals, roll back regulations, and repeal Obamacare: “Our job is to be ready on Day 1…We’re all ready to go to work.”

The Trump administration says that repealing Obama’s health care act will be the “first order of business” and has already made efforts to create a new plan for the American people. President Trump has noted his distaste with the act in his campaign claiming it, “resulted in runaway costs, websites that don’t work, greater rationing of care, higher premiums, less competition and fewer choices.” Similarly to President Obama’s healthcare plan, Trump plans to devise a health care plan that stresses availability of healthcare to American citizens, make healthcare more affordable, and improve the quality of care to all Americans.

Trump’s immediate action on repealing the act has caught the attention of not only millions of Americans, but also the Congressional Budget Office who has warned Trump that immediately repealing Obamacare without replacing the it, could cause millions of Americans to lose their health care coverage, ultimately causing a spike in insurance premiums. Republicans in Congress are considering various plans in lieu of Obamacare and hope to release a plan later this month. However, Trump has told the press that he’s nearly finished with his plan for reform and will have it out to the American people as soon as he negotiates prices.