Ricordia

• Keep checking back for new articles at the end of each month!

• Merion Mercy Student News

• Welcome to Ricordia! Your Student Newspaper!

The French Election and the United States Election: A Comparison

Gen Wittrock, Assistant Editor

The 2017 French election, involving far right candidate Marine Le Pen and centrist Emmanuel Macron, has been on the global forefront since its beginning around a year ago. Notable for her skepticism from her Euro counterparts, Le Pen faced controversy in recent news for her history with racism and xenophobic rhetoric. Le Pen also supports internal growth rather that globalization outside country borders while Macron, having never held a position in office and running as an independent candidate, has stressed more liberal ideals supporting immigration into the country’s borders.

Over the course of the election, many millennials have told news sources that they do not plan on voting in the 2017 election because of the radical polarization between the two candidates. However, on May 7th, 2017, the country reached a consensus: Emmanuel Macron will be the next leader of the Democratic nation with over a 60 percent approval rate.

Strong comparisons can be drawn between French and United States elections regarding the ideals of candidates.  The same notion of polarization in political standpoints as well as voter consensus for this particular French election can be seen also through the 2017 United States presidential election. President Trump, who has stressed a strong nationalist sentiment since the beginning of the election race, has praised Le Pen for her immigration policies stating that she is “the strongest on the borders”. On the other hand former President Barack Obama has acknowledged Macron for his strong liberal ideals.

Despite disparity throughout the duration of both elections, both democratic nations celebrate a new future for their countries.