Ms. Murphy

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ms. Murphy

Cara Keller and Olivia Squillante, Staff Writers

“As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.” – Albert Einstein

Although math poses uncertainties, one thing known for sure is that Ms. Katherine Murphy is a new teacher here at Merion.  She is originally from the area, attending Lansdale Catholic High School.  Since this is her first year at MMA and only her second year teaching in total, here is some information we found out to get to know her a little better.

Q:  Where did you go to college?

Ms. Murphy:  I went to Saint Joseph’s University, which is actually where I decided I wanted to teach math.

Q:  When did you know you wanted to become a teacher? Why?

Ms. Murphy:  I wanted to become a teacher ever since I was in third grade. Originally, I wanted to be a history teacher but in college I realized I like math better. At first I had doubts, but I became more confident and now I am glad I followed through with math.

Q: Did you have a preference of whether you wanted to teach grade school versus high school?

Ms. Murphy: I would rather teach high school students, because I love teaching algebra and calculus, which students in middle school haven’t learned yet.

Q:  Why did you choose to apply to Merion?

Ms. Murphy:  I applied to Merion because they had a math position open and I heard great things about it. I also liked that it was an all girls school.

Q:  What do you like the most about Merion so far?

Ms. Murphy:  I love Merion and especially the amazing community here.  All of the teachers have been so welcoming to me and the students are a pleasure to teach.

Q:  What courses do you teach?

Ms. Murphy:  I teach AP Calculus, AP Statistics, and Algebra 2A.

Q:  What is your favorite thing about being a teacher?

Ms. Murphy: My favorite thing about being a teacher is getting to teach students something that I love. It is a great feeling when I get to see them learn and understand challenging topics.

Q:  What is the most challenging thing about being a teacher?

Ms. Murphy: Teaching can be challenging sometimes because there is a lot of planning that goes into it.

Q:  Do you have a fun fact that you would like to share with us?

Ms. Murphy:  Well, I’m getting married in the summer!