Spotlight: Mrs. Rafferty

Mrs. Rafferty may be a new face to the current students of MMA, but she is no stranger to teaching at Merion. After a short hiatus, Mrs. Rafferty is back teaching for the semester. There is no doubt that everyone is happy to have her back.

When and why did you want to become a teacher?

When I was in college, a teacher that I loved and admired said to me, “I think you would make a great teacher,” and that made me start to think about it. I had such admiration for her and I felt so honored when she said that to me.

Has your faith always been an important part of your life?

Yes, I was raised in a faith filled family, but it grows as you go through life. The first jolt I got was when my mother got sick. As hardships come up in your life, you keep getting closer to God.

What subjects did you teach when you were at Merion before?

I taught the same courses for sophomore and seniors that are taught now. However, right after grad school, I taught English.

How is Merion different from when you first taught here?

Technology is a huge difference. There wasn’t anything except for a tv where we could show videos. There weren’t such things as DVDs or Smart Boards. Mainly technology, but many things are very much the same: the environment, the mercy charism, and the students. I loved the students then, and I love the students now.

Are you happy to be back at Merion?

I am. It was a total surprise that I came back here. I had started to think about what I was going to do when I wasn’t taking care of my grandchildren. I was hoping to do something in religious studies so when this came up I was thrilled.

What is your favorite thing about teaching?

The students. I was thinking about how subject matters have changed. The teacher is no longer the keeper of the information because you all can google the information. The teacher’s role has become more of a relationship to the students. I love being with all of you. I always tell people that the students are so good; they’re such sweethearts. I like being there to help my students.

What are your favorite things to do outside of school?

I like being with my family and my friends. I don’t do too many sports, but I like to walk. Mainly I like to be with my kids and grandkids. I’m looking forward to my son’s wedding. That will be a great family event.