Earth Day: Ways You Can Help the Environment!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Julia LaRosa, Staff Writer

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not” – Dr. Suess, The Lorax

Time to go green! Earth day is annually celebrated on April 22nd, but it is important to practice eco-friendly habits all year. Here are a few simple ways you can treat Mother Nature with love and kindness in your daily life.

1) Limit Water Usage

A large amount of our daily routines rely on water-based tasks such as showering, brushing our teeth, and washing our faces. Next time, try limiting shower time from a long, unnecessary 40 minutes to a quick 10 minutes. Also, while brushing teeth, try to not let the sink run when it is not directly being used to rinse. An immediate cut in water time may be a challenging adjustment, but even the slightest change can make your lifestyle more environmentally responsible.

2) Ditch Plastic Bags

Next trip to the grocery store, consider purchasing reusable bags. Plastic grocery store bags are thrown out immediately and ultimately harm the environment. Reusable bags are a practical purchase and will help you go green with each grocery store trip.

3) Consider How You Drink Water

In order to maintain a healthy lifestyle, one must consume around 60 oz of water per day. However, using plastic water bottles as means to stay hydrated is detrimental to the environment since they overflow landfills at rapid rates. Instead, invest in an reusable water bottle. Not only will you improve the health of the planet, but you will also remind yourself to drink more water.

4) Skip the Straw

As trendy as reusable straws seem, thy  actually do improve the environment. In the grand scheme of things, plastic straws are an unnecessary use of a material that will create waste in nature. Consider investing in reusable straws, or just ditch straws all together. Although it is a minor improvement, every little change in our lifestyle contributes to the overall health of the planet.

5) Take Digital Notes

In the 21st century, students are lucky enough to have access to online notes and digital resources. By utilizing these tools, students will use less paper and therefore not require cutting down as many trees. Next time you catch yourself reaching for lined note paper, consider creating an online document (with teacher permission of course).