“On the Basis of Sex” Movie Review

Hannah Facenda, Staff Writer

“A court ought not be affected by the weather of the day, but will be by the climate of the era.”

-Professor Freund

On the Basis of Sex came out on Christmas Day 2018 and has touched the hearts of so many people as it portrays the inspiring story of Ruth Bader Ginsburg. The movie features notable actors like Felicity Jones (Ruth Ginsburg) and Armie Hammer (Martin Ginsburg) and is directed by Mimi Leder.

I personally found the movie so relatable and incredibly empowering. The movie follows Ruth’s unrelenting work and dedication, eventually leading to her first court case. Despite the constant discrimination she experienced from her male coworkers and fellow law students, Ruth refused to give up. Instead, she persisted, worked hard, and won the court case that launched her career and led her to become a Supreme Court Justice.

I left the movie theatre feeling so powerful. It was so amazing to see such an inspiring woman’s story portrayed on a movie screen. To me, it is so important that young girls and women see this movie so that they may feel empowered and remember that despite any obstacles or challenges you are faced with, you have the ability to overcome them and become the person you want to be.

On the Basis of Sex is available on Amazon Prime Video for $5.99. I recommend watching asap!